Saturday, November 26, 2016


Simple Weathering Tools For Chalks & Powders

I've finished my initial testing of some simple weathering tools for applying and blending weathering chalks and powders. These basically are artist's "smudging" tools for applying the weathering medium. These tools can be used in addition to brushes and foam tools or as an alternative to these same tools.

I weathered five freight cars using Bragdon and Doc O'Brien's weathering powders plus PanPastel pigments. Some cars were given an initial wash of various Bragdon powders dissolved in 99% isopropyl alcohol. All cars were given a coating of Testor's Dullcote before weathering with the powders and pigments.


 
The two brands I tested were Fantastix by Tsukineko and Style Stix by Loew-Cornell . Both come with several tip shapes and sizes.




You'll notice that the Style Stix are larger. For me this makes weathering a freight car with the Style Stix wedge tip tool a little easier as coverage is faster. I found the Fantastix tool with the pointed tip better for working small and tight areas.

The Style Stix are available at Hobby Lobby. Fantastix are available at Wal-Mart in the crafts section but much better prices can be found on-line. I didn't find either tool at Michael's.

Pete Steinmetz recommend another tool set, color shapers by Royal Sovereign Ltd. These have rubber tips and are described as clay shapers. I have a set and will try these next.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment